Snorkeling Mask for Small Face
Snorkeling is a popular hobby where the snorkeler enjoys underwater views with the help of a snorkeling kit. The snorkeling kit contains a snorkel and may contain a pair of goggles to protect the eyes under water.
The snorkel is a long tube with one end above the surface of the water, and the other end fitted with a mouthpiece to allow the swimmer to breathe. The snorkeler breathes air that comes in through the snorkel while enjoying the view underwater.
Snorkeling is a popular recreational activity, but the traditional snorkel set posed a few problems to the snorkelers.
- Holding the snorkel in the mouth for long periods caused jaw pains.
- Breathing through the mouth was counterintuitive and hence caused gagging at times.
- Breathing was uncomfortable.
- If a wave covered the snorkel, sea water could enter the mouth through the snorkel.
- Sharing snorkels was considered unhygienic.
Due to the above inconveniences, a new product entered the market, namely, the full face snorkeling mask. These masks covered the entire face and provided a 180-degree panoramic view. The masks are durable and comfortable. The mask prevents water from entering while submerged.
The mask is made from shatter-proof material with silicone skirting that makes wearing it comfortable for long periods of time. The mask allows for easy breathing through the nose and mouth. This is made possible due to a separate breathing chamber within the mask.
There are dual channels for airways causing absolutely no fogging. There is a valve at the end of the snorkel that plugs shut when the snorkel is submerged into water. This prevents water from entering into the mask.
There are several add-ons available on the market that make these masks attractive. A camera mount is one such feature wherein the snorkeler can mount a GoPro on top of the mask to record their snorkeling experience.
In recent times, there has been a surge in the market with several full face snorkeling masks. Some of them are listed here:
- Tribord EasyBreath Snorkel Mask
- Seaview 180-Ddegree Snorkel Mask
- Octobermoon Snorkel Mask
- H20 Ninja
- Ceari 180
- Thenice Surface Snorkel
- Sea Vu Dry
- Ocean Reef Aria
While the full face snorkeling mask is a definite upgrade from the traditional snorkeling sets, some features need to be kept in mind while purchasing a full face snorkel mask. Sizing is one such important criteria.
Size is an important criteria while choosing a snorkeling mask. This can be a challenge as finding the correct size for the small face of children and other similar issues can be difficult. A larger mask must not be used for a snorkeler with a smaller face because:
- The snorkeling mask must fit snugly onto the snorkeler’s face. The straps can usually be tightened to help with fitting the mask, and the silicone skirting ensures that the mask sits softly on the face. This is necessary as water must not enter into the mask when the snorkeler submerges under the water. Wearing a larger mask can cause water to leak into the mask.
- A purge valve near the chin allows for purging any water that enters into the mask. The mask must fit well for this to be accessible.
- When fitted well, the mask provides a wide 180-degree view. If the mask is too big, the view can be obstructed.
While most brands provide several sizes for the full face mask, it is important to buy an XS or S for snorkelers with a small face. Another way to measure size is to refer to the sizing chart provided by the snorkel mask brands to determine which size suits your face.
Some of the steps that must be followed while selecting sizes are:
1. Measure your face
Determine the length of your face as per the sizing chart provided by the snorkel mask brand.
2. Try the mask out
Without putting on the straps, check if the skirts of the mask cover the face completely. Check if the nose has sufficient room.
3. Try a suction exercise
Keeping the mask close to your face, inhale to suck the mask to your face. Check if the mask is comfortable
4. Strap it on
Check if the straps are comfortable.
5. Try with a snorkel
The mask shape might change when a snorkel is attached. Therefore, try it once with a snorkel.
The full face snorkel mask is an innovative product that can make the snorkeling experience easy and comfortable. The right sizing can make or break this. Focus on the sizing and enjoy the features the product offers. Have fun snorkeling!