Last Updated on May 28, 2021 by Dan
Are you planning a snorkeling trip in Key West, Florida? Know the things to look for to get your money’s worth.
Know where your excursion is taking you to snorkel. Depending on where you are on the island changes what you will or won’t be seeing in the water. If you know what your options are then you won’t be disappointed.
- Florida Reef – The main destination for snorkelers in this area. This reef is the third largest in the world and stretches the entire length of the keys. This is the only living barrier coral reef in the continental United States and it stretches 4 miles wide. It is home to around 6000 different corals and many fish, turtles, crabs and other marine life. So during your snorkeling trip, you should not be disappointed.
- Shipwreck – Most of the excursions will take you to the reef but because of the positioning of some of the wrecks near open water when many other activities are included, this is the location of the snorkeling.
- Mangroves – You will ride down the waterways between the mangroves usually while riding in jet skis or kayaks. Snorkeling is not usually done in these areas.
If you are only interested in snorkeling then the packages listed below in the Basic Reef Trips are perfect. If you want to have an all-day outing with many different activities then the excursions listed below that will give you plenty to choose from.
Basic Reef Trips – This is the most basic packages available on the island which includes a round trip boat ride, usually on a catamaran where you can lay out or sit in the shade, and snorkeling at the reef. Each package has slight variations but sanitized snorkel gear is included in each package, this includes snorkel, mask, fins and vest. If you can make it to the a.m. departure you will beat the crowds and save some money as well. Don’t forget boarding times are 30 minutes prior to departure.
- Fury – 4.6 rating – $40.95 – 3hr trip. Catamaran with water and soda and then beer and wine on completion of snorkeling.
- Floridays – 4.9 rating – $55 online price. 3 hr. trip with some drinks included.
- Sebago Watersports – 4.5 rating – 3.5 hrs. – $38 morning trip on a Catamaran with beer and wine on completion of snorkeling.
- Key West Snorkeling Tours – 4.8 rating – $38 and up. 3.5 hrs. Hang out on a Catamaran with free beer, wine, water and soda.
All Inclusive Trips – These trips take up more time and have a variation of Snorkeling, Kayaking, Parasailing, Sailing, Jet skiing and many other water sports included. Make sure to read the detailed information on each website because there are requirements for some parts of the excursions like riding jet ski’s and check in times vary as well. Sometimes drinks and food are included too.
- Sunset water sports – Do it all trip $139. This excursion is 6 hours and includes snorkeling at a shallow shipwreck and 11 other activities to choose from.
- Danger – 4.8 rating – $80 4.5 hour excursion that includes snorkeling, kayaking, and sailing.
- Fury Ultimate Adventure – Snorkel the reef, jet ski, parasail, and kayak on this 6 hour excursion. $149.95
Family Friendly Packages – Kids are welcome on most of the tours and have a reduced price for entry. Some of the cruises with alcohol may be more likely to not be kid friendly at times so I would recommend excursion that state kid friendly, like the one listed below, or going on the morning trips will also help.
- Key West Snorkeling Tours – Schooner Reef cruise – 5 hrs with full buffet – $69
Things you should remember to bring
These are just suggestions and not necessarily needed for all excursions:
- Snacks or lunch depending on time/ included with the trip
- Waterproof camera
- Bathing suit
- ID as proof of age for drinks
- Credit Card if needed for jet ski rental/ drinks
- Cash for tipping crew and cash bars
*All information is subject to change and may not be accurate