Last Updated on March 24, 2021 by Dan
Best Full Face Snorkel Mask for 2021
Snorkeling is a popular hobby wherein we observe underwater life in a natural setting with some basic snorkeling equipment. The equipment required is a long tube known as a snorkel, fitted with a mouth piece and a pair of goggles to be used underwater.
The snorkel is used for breathing air from above the water surface through the snorkeler’s mouth when the face is submerged under water.
Some of the disadvantages of the snorkel tube are listed here:
- Snorkel tubes cause jaw pain after holding the mouthpiece for long periods of time.
- Snorkelers find it difficult to breathe under water as breathing has to be done through the mouthpiece only.
- Snorkelers can develop a condition called hypercapnia, wherein the amount of carbon dioxide in the blood increases due to the retaining of previously exhaled air in the snorkeling tube, which is inhaled again.
- Snorkelers can experience gagging when under water.
- Sharing snorkels was considered unhygienic as one end of the snorkel is held with the mouth.
Due to the above disadvantages, a new product entered the market called the ‘Full Face Snorkel Mask’. The full face snorkel mask was an innovative design that solved the problems of the traditional snorkel mask and goggle set.
Design innovations of the Full Face Snorkel Mask
- Fits tightly
The full face mask covers the entire face and it stays in place with a strap. The strap is adjustable. There are soft silicone inserts in the mask skirting that keeps it in place.
This is a clever design as it prevents water from entering the mask when the face is submerged within the water.
- Dual airways
Some masks have dual airways with a separate breathing chamber within the mask. The air enters in through the snorkel tube and the exhaled air exits from the sides of the chamber, thereby preventing hypercapnia.
- Easy breathe technology
Due to the air chamber within the mask, the snorkeler can now breathe through the nose, mouth, or both. This is a big improvement from the traditional snorkel wherein the breathing was done through the mouth only. Breathing is comfortable, even under the water’s surface.
Most of the full face masks are anti-fogging due to the design. The separate breathing chamber causes the viewing lens to be separate from the breathing area. This results in little to no fogging under water.
Little to no water enters the mask due to the silicone skirting that assures a tight fit, thereby preventing water (especially salt water in the seas) from entering the mouth. There is a plugging facility in the snorkel tube that seals the snorkel opening when the snorkeler decides to do some diving under water.
- Purge valves
Most full face masks have purge valves near the chin wherein, if water enters the mask, it can be expelled out easily using the purge valves. A simple process of forced exhalation can expel the water out of the mask. Exhalation can be done under or over the water surface.
- Camera mounts
New full face masks have a camera mount above the mask to support recording of the snorkeling experience if desired. The mounting feature is popular and snorkelers regularly use GoPros to record the underwater scenery while snorkeling.
They come in attractive colors and sizes.
The above features have made full face snorkeling masks a very popular choice among beginner and seasoned snorkelers alike. People wanting to try snorkeling are more inclined to do so because of the ease of use, and experienced snorkelers prefer the mask for its advantages over the traditional snorkeling set.
While the full face snorkeling masks are relatively easy to maintain, we need to keep the following things in mind to ensure longevity of the mask:
- Ensure that you buy the right size, or else water might get into the mask.
- While most masks support beards, some masks might let water in if the snorkeler has a thick beard.
- Keep the mask away from sand to prevent it from entering the snorkel and jamming the valve.
- Ensure that you don’t lean too far forward while under water and submerge the snorkel. The valve plugs the snorkel and you might find it difficult to breathe.
- Do not try to free dive with the full face snorkeling mask as the pressure of the mask on the face makes it uncomfortable for the snorkeler.
The full face snorkeling mask is a revolutionary product that has slowly changed the way people snorkel. Once you try the full face snorkelling mask, it is unlikely that you will go back to the traditional methods.
Here are the ones we recommend:
Vaincre 180° View Snorkel Mask
Vaincre has recently developed a 180-degree view snorkel which ensures the safety of the scuba diver under water while improving the user experience when it comes to viewing the beauty of the under-water world. The primary and most striking feature that this product provides is that it makes breathing extremely easy under water for divers.
It almost feels as if a person is not breathing under water but is breathing out in the open air. The most unique aspect about this snorkel is that unlike others which have come up in the market almost at the same time or earlier, it is tubeless.
- 180-degree view
- Shatterproof polycarbonate window for added safety
- Full mask for natural breathing through the mouth and nose
- Inbuilt exclusive ventilation system to prevent fogging
- Dry top at the top of the snorkel to keep the snorkel dry
- Purge valve at the bottom of the snorkel to drain the water when the diver’s head is raised
- Elastic straps
- Inner Size: 6.69 x 5.12 inch, Outer Size: 9.06 x 7.48 inch
- Prevents water from entering the mask
- Comes with soft ear plugs to keep salt water out
- No fogging witnessed so far
- Comes with comfortable and adjustable elastic bands
- Comes with a mesh carry bag
- Incorporates an extra O-ring for snorkel piece
- GoPro mount helps in capturing beautiful moments under water
- No fogging near the eye but considerable fogging near the mouth
- Does not stay on the face when the person dives too deep
- Fails to perform efficiently even with the slightest wave
- Not good for subsurface diving
- Straps easily become loose
This impressive scuba diving gear which covers the entire face, offers a field view of 180 degrees, unlike the smaller traditional masks. In addition, users can breathe through both nose and mouth, a sense of revolutionary design that nevertheless seems quite natural. The integrated snorkel has a device that prevents water from seeping in even in case of immersion, which could facilitate prolonged deep diving.
SeaView 180° Snorkel Mask Review
One of the unparalleled snorkeling masks found in the market these days is designed and supplied by a company called SeaView. The snorkeling mask recently launched has set its benchmark and sales have witnessed a magnificent hike. The SeaView snorkel market fulfills almost each and every expectation of the diver.
- Extremely durable
- Full-face design
- On and off straps with minimal assistance needed
- Dry snorkel technology
- Built-in anti-fog technology
- 180-degree view
- No water leakage
- Extremely easy to use and adapt to all face-types
- 180-degree view
- Full-face snorkel
- Easy to breathe under water
- Very comfortable to wear
- Designed to fit people of all ages
- Negligible amount of fogging
- Separate breathing chamber
- Easy to breathe through the nose and mouth
- Hard to dive in great depths
The mask is an essential element for bottle or snorkel diving and this snorkel lets you explore the underwater world and bring back memories of your vacation (GoPro edition). In an ideal case, the Seaview mask allows you peaceful exploration and it can also become a nightmare when it takes water or fogs.
This snorkel is designed to prevent fogging and water entry in the mask. I would advise you not to take your choice of mask lightly and do not fuss over a few dollars.
Tribord EasyBreath Full Face Snorkel Mask Review
Tribord EasyBreath was the first product to introduce the modern full face snorkel technology to the market. The flagship product of the industry leaders Decathlon, the EasyBreath has been upgraded many times through the years after its original release, and now comes with state-of-the-art features like anti-fogging and panoramic vision.
The product comes with an excellent mix of essential and advanced features, making it suitable for both beginners and pros. Every user will find a size of the product that fits firmly, and they’ll also enjoy dry snorkel features which prevent water from seeping in through the snorkel’s top.
The breathing features enable easy breathing deep down under water and the anti-fogging mechanism keeps the user’s 180 degree panoramic visual fields completely crisp, clean, and totally fog-free.
- Advanced hypoallergenic silicone mask skirt
- Advanced air flow mechanism that also prevents fog inside the mask
- Air-tight locking mechanism that prevents accidental detachment
- 180-degree panoramic view
- Textile straps that protects hairs from getting tangled when changing or wearing it
- Anti-slip silicone mask skirting and advanced lock mechanism that enable comfortable wearing
- Dry snorkel protection that prevents water from dripping in from the snorkel’s top
- Supports natural breathing through the nose
- Made with highly durable materials, including the shatterproof polycarbonate used for the lenses
- For casual diving only – not suitable for deep diving
- The lenses can easily be scratched by sand or salt
The Tribord EasyBreath snorkel is an excellent option for both beginners and pros. It provides a snuggling fit with its anti-slip silicone skirting and also allows for easy breathing thanks to a special air flow technology. The lenses are made from shatterproof polycarbonate materials, though they’re susceptible to scratches from sand or salt.
Zipoute Face Snorkel Mask Review
Made with high-quality PC and medical-grade silicone as well as excellent design elements, the Zipoute face snorkel can easily competes with just about any other product out there. Its exhaust channels – fitted on either side of the facemasks to drain out exhaled air and water – are an exclusive feature rarely found in the markets.
Besides essential features like underwater breathing mechanisms, anti-fog features, and a firm fitting, this product also offers features that enrich your diving experience. A full package comes with tools and features for mounting cameras to record the diving adventure.
It also allows for easy adjustability with its adjustable straps that allow people with different face sizes to pull on a firm fit and also prevents hairs from getting trapped when removing it.
- 180-degree full face design
- Dry snorkel covering
- Anti-fogging technology
- Camera mount features
- Multiple sizes
- Made from hypoallergenic materials including medical grade silicone and high-grade PC to prevent skin problems
- A dry snorkel mechanism that allows comfortable breathing even when the snorkel is underwater
- Adjustable straps that enable snuggling fit on different faces
- Drain valves on either sides of the mask to enable drainage without the need to take off the mask
Users may require assistance to tighten the strap properly
With Zipoute, users can enjoy seamless diving experiences, even when they venture deeper and submerge the entire snorkel underwater. Zipoute provides a dry snorkelling system that prevents the inflow of water from the snorkel’s top.
The drain valves further enhance convenience, allowing users to easily drain the masks of excess air and water without having to take it off. The silicone skirting as well as the adjustable straps will also help ensure that the mask is airtight and waterproof on the inside when worn. Users can also enhance their experience with a camera mounted on the mask taking 180-degree panoramic pictures of the adventure.
Divelux Snorkel Mask Zipoute Face Snorkel Mask Review
Divulet also enables a highly entertaining snorkelling adventure with an excellent breathing mechanism, anti-fogging features, and a wide visual field. The 180-degree panoramic view enables users to see crisp, clean images of their environment without the risks of leakages.
The creators have also put a lot of thoughts and effort into the high-grade construct, tackling health issues that other snorkel masks often sidestep. This Divelux mask comes with medical-grade liquid silicon skirting that enables a firm grip and soaks up sweat while preventing health issues like allergies and skin problems.
Divelux also comes in multiple sizes for men, women, and children of all sizes.
- 180-degree panoramic view
- Anti-fogging mechanism
- A dry top system
- Support for natural breathing
- Enables seamless breathing by allowing users to breathe naturally through the nose and mouth
- A dry top snorkel that prevents the inflow of water from the top when the snorkel is submerged
- Comes with anti-fog treatment
- Offers six colors to choose from
- Comes in multiple sizes for both adults and children
- Users may have difficulties wearing and using it underwater without assistance
If you want a decent snorkeler that takes care of your skin and prevents breathing problems, you can consider Divelux. It’ll enable you to breathe naturally and freely as you immerse yourself in spectacular underwater scenery. With its medical-grade construct, you’ll get to worry less about your health while taking in the view of surroundings with 180-degree panoramic views and an anti-fog technology.
Unlike the other snorkels, for instance the Easybreath available in the market these days, this snorkel by SeaView has very few disadvantages. Compared to the Easybreath design which only comes in two sizes, making size selection a real nightmare, the SeaView 180° Snorkel Mask, without any second thought should be taken into consideration while purchasing a snorkel for a vacation because it is best suited for surface divers and beginners.It is a fantastic product if you enjoy the water and wish to try some snorkeling on your next vacation, holiday, or even a Sunday by the beach. Have Fun!